We can help with a broad range of requests for information, including the following:
- births that occurred less than 120 years ago
- marriages that occurred less than 75 years ago
- deaths that occurred less than 50 years ago
- stillbirths that occurred less than 75 years ago
Register a Birth
All births that occur in Alberta must be registered with the Alberta government by filling out the form on this page. The birth mother and father/co-parent are responsible for completing a Registration of Birth form.
After a birth is registered, you can order birth documents from us.
All the information on a birth certificate is extracted from the Registration of Birth form.
The following applies:
- The birth mother must sign the Registration of Birth form
- To record the father/co-parent on a child’s birth record, both parents must sign the Registration of Birth form
- When the father/co-parent does not sign the Registration of Birth, they will not be recorded on the child’s birth record
- A father/co-parent may be added to a birth record later with an amendment
You have options when choosing a last name for your newborn, but some restrictions apply.